Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Time Based Drawing

My inspiration started off with layers of wood stain after I saw this photo:




I wanted to experiment with how much the wood would soak up in a given amount of time. 
I started off grabbing these scraps of wood I found in a junk pile in the wood shop. I wanted to manipulate them with a wood stain. 
The day of Nov. 27th, I splattered the stain towards the center of the pieces.



I let the stain dry for a few minutes to let the center of the wood soak it up. I then brushed the rest of the stain all over the pieces to start a base.

A few hours later I added another layer.



 A few days later I added two more layers in the center of the pieces.






Some of the pieces show that centers are much darker than the edges which is what I wanted to demonstrate. Dark, rich color in the center and spread out towards the edges as the wood allowed naturally.





No comments:

Post a Comment